The 42-room Cedar House Sport Hotel in Truckee, California (near Lake Tahoe) is an example of a luxury hotel that was built and is operated in concert with sustainable principles.
- All run-off water was retained on site during construction
- Rainwater is transferred from the roof through gutters and down a hanging chain to the landscaping below, helping to water the landscaping.
- Wood-framed Low-E and solar tinted windows
- No incandescent lights
- All lights have photo sensors and timers
- No plumbing on exterior walls (saves energy and protects from freezing)
- Space from water heaters to showerheads is minimized; each building has three instantaneous hot water heaters for potable water and one for the hydronic space heating system
- Roof is Green, and the cedar exterior siding and logs came from a re-forestation project
- Low VOC carpeting and draperies
- Paper-based countertops
- Doors were left open for one month to allow for outgassing
- European bedding with luxurious linens and down comforters
- Pillow top mattresses
- Egyptian cotton robes and towels
- Spa bath amenities
- Flat screen LCD televisions
- Free wifi and high speed internet access
- European continental breakfast
- Outdoor spa
- Full bar
- Meeting room
Suites include the Luxury Suite, the Designer Suite, and the King Suite.