Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Organic foods are produced according to certain production standards. It means they are grown without the use of conventional pesticides, artificial fertilizers, human waste, or sewage sludge. Organic products were processed without ionizing radiation or food additives. Livestock are reared without the routine use of antibiotics and without the use of growth hormones.
Organic food production is legally regulated. Currently, the European Union, the United States, Japan and many other countries require producers to obtain organic certification in order to market food as organic. In most countries, organic produce must not be genetically modified. But in Europe, it just must be indicate to costumer if the product contains more than 0,9 % of GMO.
Historically, organic farms have been relatively small family-run farms — which is why organic food was once only available in small stores or farmers' markets. However, since the early 1990s organic food production has had growth rates of around 20% a year, far ahead of the rest of the food industry, in both developed and developing nations. As of April 2008, organic food accounts for 1-3% of food sales worldwide.
Organic food is generally more expensive than regular food. However, these foods contain less chemicals from the pesticide used to kill the pests.
Benefits of organic foodsEdit
- Prevents people from ingesting amounts of pesticide and insecticide
- Protects the planet because no animals are killed because of the chemicals used
- Animals that are bred in organic farms are not subjected to terrible living conditions
- It is considered 'sustainable' farming since it doesn't expose people to chemicals and toxins
- Promotes a balanced ecosystem, including insects that protect crops from pests
- Of course - they taste better